When Survivors See Abuse

By Vickie Morgan


Everyone has an opinion about how kids should act. We were once told by some neighbors “Your family is very loud.”

Yeah, we know. This is what we signed up for. Having a house full of yelling and laughter and broken lamps and surfaces that are always sticky – we had a pretty good idea what we were in for when we stopped having sex for fun and did it, you know, on purpose.

Now that our kids are 5 and 2, there’s almost a competition to see who is most like which parent. “I was exactly like him at that age” is like the Morgan family slogan. Turns out they’re just like both of us with their own personalities thrown in. We checked. The grandparents agree.

It’s liberating in a way. Realizing that my personality wasn’t formed by any one experience.

But there have been times…when I am around other kids and I start to see things. And I find myself saying “I was just like that when I was her age.”

The trouble is that when I was ‘that age’ there were some horrific things happening to me. I had a lot of the signs of a kid who was being sexually abused, but nobody around me knew what to look for.

Would you know what to look for?

When you are a survivor yourself, it gets complicated.

Survivors tend to doubt their own instincts and let’s face it, who wants to be the person who talks about child sexual abuse? I mean seriously. Are you thinking about baby penises and tiny vaginas? You must be if you suspect a kid is being sexually abused right? What kind of person would even think such things?

Here's the catch though. We are not the ones perpetrating violence on children. Maybe you can’t even put it into words but sometimes you just know there’s something wrong in a kid’s life. Whether they seem like they don’t know who to trust or it’s something more obvious like they are masturbating in public or talking about how sexy their boyfriend is and they haven’t turned 7 yet.

There are signs of abuse that experts agree on. There are behavioral changes that occur.

You can do a google search and find out for yourself. Alone. In front of your computer. And then you can beat yourself up for thinking of reporting an awful hunch you have. What if you are wrong?

So while you stew about that question and live through flashbacks of your own trauma, some kid is wondering why nobody will speak up for him. 

What if someone had spoken up for you?

I don’t want any other child to go through what I went through so I took the training. I found out what the experts recommend about how to prevent child sexual abuse, what to look for and how and where to report if I ever suspect a child is being sexually abused. I want to empower others to do the same.

Survivors carry the consequences of child sexual abuse with them for a lifetime. They are also highly equipped to pick out a creep even in a crowded room. We simply need to learn how to trust our own instincts and value our own judgement.

As a survivor, my biggest question is always “how would a normal person act in this situation?” That’s the biggest gift this class gave me.

I was able to sit with other concerned, caring adults who want to stop child sexual abuse from happening.

This isn’t just a plug for my Stewards of Children workshops. They are available all across the country and across Canada too. 

I found out about the class from my friend Bev who teaches it back home in Newfoundland. She also organizes a walk for survivors every year called Miles for Smiles. Isn't it amazing what survivors can do when we come out of the shadows and share our stories and work together to stop child sexual abuse?

If you are a concerned adult and want to know how to prevent, recognize and react responsibly to child sexual abuse, click here for a list of classes or to register. Share this post with that friend who happened to come to mind as you were reading it. You already know why.

Send us a picture when YOU take the training. We'd love to hear from you.